All the team predictions on this team were made between the 20th and 27th of April, pre-classics, pre-nationals, pre-Chellsie gate and pre-Shawn Johnson’s retirement.
This whole idea doesn’t mean much, and its only a bit of fun, won’t it be good to see whats changed in the team line ups in the last 2 months? here goes!
First up, arabianpunchfront.blogspot.com‘s predictions!
Jordyn Wieber – This one is obvious. You have to take World AA Champion. Barring injury, this girl is definitely on the team. She’s the best chance the USA has, right now, at AA gold.
Aly Raisman – Aly has been a rock. She has also shown Marta that she can be the team leader. Aly is consistent and her confidence will be good for the other girls, especially the youngest ones.
Kyla Ross – Everyone has been waiting for the arrival of Kyla Ross to the senior group. Many argue that she will get that 2nd AA spot and I think she stands a good chance in doing that. Also, she has lovely lines on bars and beam and is a good dancer. Hopefully, the judges agree with that.
Gabby Douglas – Gabby could be our bars specialist. Marta said that she might want 3 AA and 2 bars specialist. Gabby definitely fits the bill on this one. She can also be looking for an individual medal on uneven bars after her 4th place Worlds finish. I, for one, have faith in Gabby’s beam. When she was a junior, she was all the rage. She’s been through a lot in the past year and I think it’s manifested itself on beam but I have faith that she’ll get that back and can also fight for an AA spot.
McKayla Maroney – My reason for picking Maroney is actually very simple. If Marta really is retiring this year and Team USA doesn’t win gold, imagine how she would feel not bringing the one person that is basically guaranteed a medal, if not gold. She’s in a similar situation as He Kexin but Maroney has been insanely reliable with her vault. She is upgrading her 2nd vault to a Cheng, I believe, and hopefully she upgrades her other events as well.
alternates: Sarah Finnegan (excellent all arounder), Shawn Johnson (if she’s training all around), Nastia Liukin (if McKayla isn’t picked, it will be because a (potentially) better than Gabby bars worker is chosen)
Meagan Wegley’s Team
1. Jordyn Wieber because she is excellent all around and is a solid competitor under pressure.
2. Aly Raisman because she is a great competitor and has an excellent floor and beam routine and will be a major contributor.
3. Gabby Douglas because she is a true competitor that is fun to watch and not to mention has an incredible bar routine that the US needs.
4. Shawn Johnson because there is something to be said about veteran experience; she has also been showing more signs of her ability and performance and I believe she will be a strong competitor.
5. Alicia Sacramone again- veteran leadership and of Alicia is competing as solid as she was before the injury she will be a great contender!
Alternates – McKayla Maroney, Kyla Ross and Bridgette Caquatto
1. Jordyn Wieber~ she is a pretty much a lock for the team and is an all around contender for the olympic gold.
2. Mckayla Maroney~ she is pretty much a lock for vault gold
3.Aly Raisman~ she is so consistent and the team needs someone like that..Martha can relay on her.
4.Rebecca Bross~ personally she deserves to go she is a great gymnast and has proven that she can handle the pressure of a big time event
5.Gabby Douglas~ the USA needs a bar worker and Gabby can do bars she is also a pretty good all arounder if Martha needs her.
Kyla Ross~ she has.proven she can handle the pressure and is an oustanding gymnast
There’s so many ways this team could go. It’s not like you could just swap one person out and another in, Martha and the S.C will hand-pick this team so every gymnast complements each other. And one’s weakness will be another’s strength.
First up, I’m putting in Jordyn Wieber, she could more than likely compete on every event in team finals, and she has a realistic shot at the AA gold.
Next I have Aly Raisman. I don’t think Aly could be left off this team, She is strong on all four events and could (not ideally) go up on bars at any part of the competition if injury or mistakes take out another competitor. The beauty of an All Arounder!
Gabby Douglas takes my next spot, the un-offical Amerian cup winner fits in very well with my team so far, complimenting Alys low scoring bar routine and Jordyns OK routine with her world-class bars set. Also an all arounder, Gabby can go up on any event if needed.
Next I’d take Kyla Ross. The first year senior is steady building a reputation as one of the best All Arounders and Bar workers in the country.
And the final place goes to… Well, to be honest, I’m un-decided. I’ve figured it could be either Asac or Sarah Finnegan depending on two things.
1. Alicia’s recovery. Alicia tore her Achilles tendon while training in Toyko in October for world championships. I could see her on this team, competing Vault (I trust Asac’s Rudi more than some of the Amanars) Balance beam and floor exercise.
2. How Sarah Finnegan reacts to the pressure of being a senior and how her beam and floors look at Nationals and Trials.
Either of these girls could go in to the team, because they have similar strengths (Balance Beam, Floor Exercise) Although, Asac has a strong vault and could vault in team finals and compete for an undivdual vault medal. unlike Sarah who only has a DTY. But, that’s not too big an issues because the team all ready strong on vault (Jordyn, Gabby and Aly all have Amanars)
Alternates: Mckayla Maroney incase anything happens to one of the vaulters.
Sarah Finnegan/Alicia Sacramone Depending on who makes the team.
Rebecca Bross Incase anything happens to one of the bar workers. She can also give on balance beam if she can clean up her Patterson. And floor exercise if she gets that back to her old strength.